The applications for SymposiumMX 2019 are now closed
Thank you for your interest in participating. Our full programme will be announced shortly
Call for Papers
The Symposium of Mexican Students and Studies is an annual multidisciplinary meeting that provides a forum to present current academic work and exchange knowledge and ideas. Throughout sixteen years, the event has become the most relevant academic event in the United Kingdom for students and academics interested in Mexico.
The objective of this event is to bring together the Mexican student community and those interested in Mexican issues, across six different topics:
- Physical Sciences (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy)
- Biological Sciences (Medicine, Biology, Psychology, Genomics)
- Engineering and Technology (Materials, Construction, Aeronautics, Computer Science and Technology)
- Social Sciences (Education, Economics, Business and Management, Political Science, History, Law)
- Arts & Humanities (Art, Music, Literature, Architecture, Religion, Philosophy)
- Environmental Sciences/Energy and Sustainability (Energy Transition, Ecology, Conservation, Climate Change)
- Mexican Studies (Security, Mexico’s History, Politics, Law)
- Art exhibitions (more information provided below)
We welcome anyone interested in issues pertaining to Mexico, regardless of your nationality, so please do apply and make a contribution.
In addition to keynote lectures and other plenaries, the conference will accommodate three types of sessions.
Full academic paper sessions - for which single papers can be submitted. They will be presented in a session with 3 or 4 research papers (15 minutes per paper including discussion/questions).
Lightning talk session - 7-minute presentations intended to share ideas and best practices on the key conference topics and spark discussion among conference participants.
Poster presentation - for which dedicated time slots will be available in the program, so that authors can clarify their poster to the circulating audience. Posters could present a research project, some field-work done, a case study, or an early-stage research proposal.
New Contributions: ‘Transforming ideas about Mexico and the World’ is absolutely delighted to create innovative spaces within this year’s academic programme:
Networking sessions: Key enterprises, research councils and scientific centers from Mexico and the UK are invited and encouraged to get involved with students and attendees.
Art exhibition: Curated especially for the Symposium to showcase and promote contemporary arts from Mexico internationally. More details below:
Artists are invited to showcase their work at an art exhibition to be held at this year’s Symposium. The intention is to inspire ideas and open cultural dialogue through the rich language of Mexican art. Thematically, the exhibition aims to portray and contextualise the Symposium’s core theme “Challenging ideas of Mexico and the world”. Various art forms are welcome, including paintings, drawings, photography and mixed media work, preferably in small scale formats. Artists are encouraged to submit a brief description of their proposed works, including specifications of size and medium, via the abstract submission procedure.
- February 15, 2019 - Submission of abstracts
- February 28, 2019 - Announcement of acceptance/rejection
- March 15, 2019 - Deadline for conference registration
- May 15, 2019 - Submission of full papers/posters.
Attending the Symposium
There are no fees for registering and attending the Symposium, however bear in mind that each participant is responsible for making their transportation and accommodation arrangements. Accommodation options that you will be able to book directly are provided in the accommodation page.
Email us at [email protected]